Game of the Week – Steam Park. Steam Park is a brilliant new family strategy game for 2-4 players with an fantastic theme and beautiful components, that is tipped by many to feature highly in this year’s Spiele des Jahres awards. In the game, players compete to build the best steam-powered theme park, while struggling to keep the parks clean and profitable. A wonderful game which involves frantic dice-rolling with a very clever system of ride-building, we think this will be a smash hit with gamers of all ages. For more information, check out the video reviews from Tom Vasel and Grey Elephant Gaming.
Gaming at The Gate – DATE CHANGE. Our first gaming session of 2014 at The Gate is on Wednesday 29th January.Please note the change of date – we’ll be back to our usual last Monday of the month from February. As well as a selection of brilliant games to play, we’re really excited to have special guests Chaos Publishing along to demonstrate their great strategy game Medieval Mastery. If you’re free, definitely try and come and to have a go at this great game which was both designed and published in Britain.
Massive Events Update for 2014! We’ve been busy organising more gaming events than ever for 2014. So far, we’ve have the following planned for the first quarter of the year (with more details to follow):
- Sun 26th Jan (tbc) – Star Trek Attack Wing – Dominion War: The Attack on Earth. Bring along your best fleet to defend Earth against the Dominion!
- Wed 29th Jan – Gaming at the Gate. Please note the date change!
- Sat 1st & Sun 2nd Feb – Magic the Gathering: Born of the Gods pre-release. Come along and join us for a chance to play the latest set of Magic, with loads of fun and prizes to be won.
- Sun 9th Feb – Magic the Gathering: Born of the Gods 2-Headed Giant. A sealed event to celebrate the awesome-looking new Born of the Gods set.
- Wed 12th Feb – Gaming at The Urban Taphouse. Join us for an evening of great gaming at our favourite new City Centre haunt, the Urban Taphouse. Brilliant games and brilliant beer guaranteed.
- Wed 16th Feb (tbc) – Star Trek Attack Wing – Dominion War: The Battle of Cardassia.
- Sun 23rd Feb – Family Games Day with Save the Children. Bring along the whole family to try out some brilliant games and also help raise some money for the fantastic work of Save the Children.
- Mon 24th Feb – Gaming at the Gate. Our regular monthly boardgames evening in Roath (back on its normal day!).
- Sun 9th Mar – Star Wars X-Wing. A fun day for all fans of the Star Wars X-Wing game to pitch their favourite ships against each other in friendly competition.
- Wed 12th Mar – Gaming at The Urban Taphouse.
- Sun 16th Mar – Roleplaying with CROW. Whether you’ve never played a roleplaying game before, or if you’re a veteran of many campaigns, come along and join the friendly crew of CROW to enjoy the marvel of RPGs.
- Mon 31st Mar – Gaming at The Gate.
Electronic Gaming Update – TabletBoardgame Hits of 2013. Playing boardgames on tablet devices has now become a really popular way to get a quick gaming hit while on the move, or to try out bigger games before buying the real version.BoardGameGeek has announced part 1 of its awards for best iPad boardgame apps of 2013, while the always excellent Pocket Tactics had great things to say about Pandemic, Agricola, Eclipse and Warhammer Quest in its 2013 Awards.
New in store from next week – new sic-fi strategy in the ace Theseus: The Dark Orbit; story-telling in Middle Earth with Hobbit Tales; Bremerhaven, the nautical strategy game; cool new strategy card game based on Japanese RPGs, Pixel Tactics, and True Colours, the latest expansion for Netrunner.
New Releases Available Now - intense underwater tension for 1-2 players in the wonderful Hunters: German U-Boats at War; build steam-powered theme parks in the wonderful Steam Park; more brilliant strategy from Mac Gerdts (Imperial, Navegador) in Concordia; epic battles at sea in Sails of Glory; Dead Panic, the zombietastic sequel to co-op classic Castle Panic; scare yourself witless with the ace Carnival Zombie; evolutionary exploration in Origin; fabulous coffee-cup strategy gem Cappuccino; C3K, the expansion that allows you to mash-up Kemetand Cyclades; retro-computer themed Boss Monster Dungeon Building; Alien Artifacts, the very long-awaited new expansion for Race For The Galaxy; Rampage, the monstrously smashing new game where destruction and mayhem provide a fast route to fun; brilliant new Civilisation game Nations;Level 7 [Omega Protocol], which featured very highly in the Dice Tower’s Favourite Games of 2013; Battlelore, the epic fantasy war-game is back and looking better than ever; bluff and backstabbing in the magnificent Coup, or take on the Trans-Siberian Railway with Russian Railroads.
New Releases Available to Order From Today - Beserk, the tactical card game which was a massive hit in Russia; A Hidden Agenda chapter pack forGame of Thrones LCG; Fairy Mischief; Disc Duellers and Seven Card Slugfest.
Also in Stock Now - A massive batch of highly desirable restocks have just hit the shelves, including the wonderful Firefly, along with its first expansion, Breaking Atmo. Also back in stock is the marvellous Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Isle, and its first expansion, Voyage of the Beagle; the fab River Dragons; brilliant strategy game Kemet; the wonderful Le Havre, and Stefan Feld’s latest masterpiece, Bora Bora.
Arriving soon - Dark fantasy adventure based on the massively popular series of novels and computer games in The Witcher; new ships for Star Wars: X-Wing; Seafall Legacy, from the designer of the brilliant Risk Legacy; the return of the classic Blue Moon Legends; a new expansion for the wonderful Wiz War, Malefic Curses. PRE-ORDERS FOR ALL THESE BEING TAKEN NOW!
…are now over on the Events Tab. As always, if you want it and we’re not doing it, SHOUT!!